Are you in the process of renovating your home? Whether you’re just starting or almost done, it’s essential to have a plan and know what you want. This blog post will share our top 5 tips for home renovations. These tips will help make the process smoother and ensure your renovation goes as planned.
Make a Thorough Budget
When renovating a home, it’s important to have a specific budget. This will help you stay on track and avoid any surprises down the road. In addition to the cost of materials and labour, there are other costs to consider, such as:
- Legal Fees – This includes obtaining building permits, getting the property surveyed, and registering the property with the Land Registry.
- Reconnection Fees – reconnection fees may be associated with bringing electricity and gas services back online.
- Professional Fees – If you’re hiring a professional contractor to oversee your renovation project, professional fees will likely be associated with their services.
These fees can range from several hundred pounds to several thousand pounds.
- Council Tax – If you’re renovating your home and increasing its value, you may need to pay additional council tax.
Secure Planning Permission
If you’re planning on making significant changes to your home, securing planning permission first is essential. This will ensure that your renovation is done under local regulations and that you don’t have trouble with the authorities.
Our top tip is to submit your application early. It’s always a good idea to submit your application for planning permission early, especially if you know there will be delays. This will help avoid any last-minute surprises and ensure that your renovation goes as planned.
Find a Builder
A good builder can help you realise your vision and ensure the renovation goes smoothly. A few of our main tips would be to:
- Check Reviews – It’s always a good idea to check reviews before hiring anyone. This will give you a good idea of what to expect from the builder and whether they suit your project.
- Get Quotes – Get quotes from several builders before making a decision. This will help you compare prices and find the best deal.
Update The Electrics and Plumbing
When renovating a home, it’s important to update the electrics and plumbing simultaneously. This will help avoid any costly surprises down the road. In addition, updating the electrics and plumbing can be messy, so it’s best to get it done while the rest of the renovation is underway.
A building survey should highlight any areas of concern and provide an estimate for any necessary repairs. The report will help you determine if it’s a wise investment to proceed with the transaction or if you have to negotiate to get money off the property.
Renovating your home can be daunting, but careful planning and execution can be a smooth and successful process. We hope our top 5 tips have helped you start your renovation project. If you have any questions or need help getting started, don’t hesitate to reach out to us. We’re here to help make your dream home a reality!